[texworks] PDF ToC doesn't show correct unicode characters on Linux

Johannes Knaus knauslists at freenet.de
Tue Oct 18 14:11:34 CEST 2011

Hi,

When I'm compiling a PDF on my Ubuntu (11.04, now 11.10 but the problem persists) netbook with TeXworks, ToC-entries (i.e. sections and chapter titles) that contain special characters don't appear correctly, instead a number of chinese (or japanese?) glyphs appear where for example an é or ß should appear.

Strangely, this only happens with TeXworks on Ubuntu while the PDF-ToC appears correctly when I typeset the document on my Mac.

I compile with the following command:

Command:
latexmk
Arguments:
-e
$pdflatex=q/xelatex -synctex=1 %O %S/
-pdf
$fullname

Is this a known bug in the Linux-Version of TeXworks (xelatex related?)?
Are there any possible workarounds?

Thanks for your help.
Johannes