[texworks] Texworks quit working (on windows)

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 28 19:09:00 CEST 2011

On 28 Sep 2011, at 17:47, K. Frank wrote:

> Hi Alain!
>
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 9:09 AM, Alain Delmotte <esperanto at swing.be> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Le 28/09/2011 10:57, Lars Madsen a écrit :
>>> Have you ckecked that there are not any corrupt TeXworks
>>> configuration files.
>>
>> If it is the Tex Live version of teXworks, go to
>> c:\users\<you>\.texlive2010\texmf-config and suppress the "texworks" folder.
>> So you suppress all the configuration files.
>> Restart TeXworks from Tex Live, a new folder will be created.
>
> I have a "texworks" folder, but it is empty:
>
>   C:\Users\<me>\.texlive2011\texmf-config\texworks
>
> I renamed it and restarted TeXworks.  The empty texworks folder was
> recreated, and I have the same problem -- the TeXworks process exits
> almost immediately.

I haven't followed this thread in detail, so I apologise if I'm repeating things that have already been suggested.... it sounds to me as though you might have incompatible versions of some library (DLL) that texworks uses. I'm not sure how many DLLs the current Windows builds depend on, but if you have a mixture where you're trying to launch an .exe from one release (miktex? tl2010? tw standalone?) but it is finding DLLs that came with a different release (somewhere in your Windows PATH?) there'd be a very high likelihood of failure.

Normally, I'd expect all the necessary DLLs to be installed in the same folder as the .exe itself, so that the right ones are found, but if that's not the case on your system then it'll search for them in the current PATH, and may find the wrong one.

An alternative theory: some kind of permissions issue that's preventing TW from accessing a file it needs. Does it make any difference if you right-click TW and ask it to "Run as Administrator"? (I think that's the Win7 way - not at a Windows machine right now.)

JK