[texworks] Texworks quit working (on windows)

K. Frank kfrank29.c at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 18:27:25 CEST 2011

Hello Arno!

Thanks for your (and everyone else's) feedback.

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Arno Trautmann <Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de> wrote:
> David J. Perry wrote:
>>
>> I believe that some people use TeXLive on Windows, but you might have
>> better luck with MiKTeX, which is a Windows-specific distribution
>> (that's what I use). It includes TeXworks along with many other things
>> and has tools to keep your distribution up to date easily. It comes with
>> a Windows installer.
>
> Well, that cannot be a solution. TeX Live ships TeX works for Windows, and
> it is supposed to work. I personally do recommend TeX Live for every Windows
> TeX starter as MiKTeX has several problems that can be hard for a beginner.
> E.g. I've seen (during a TeX run) a message saying that the GUI could not be
> opened. A normal user is lost at this point.

I was thinking of installing MiKTeX, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.
I will hold off a little, in hopes that a TeX Live solution presents itself.

> Therefore, also I'm on a Linux machine, I'm also interested in a solution –
> a friend of mine seems to have the same problem as K. Frank reports.

Again -- just a reminder -- TeXworks / TeX Live had been working for me.
I wasn't doing anything fancy, but it seemed to be working fine.  Then it
quit, without me having done anything obvious to my system or to my
TeXworks installation.

If anyone has TeXworks / TeX Live working on windows, perhaps he could
post which versions he is using and note any special installation steps he
had to take.

> cheers
> Arno

Thanks again for everyone's help.