[texworks] Problem with .eps files

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 13:55:20 CEST 2011

Hello,
** Felix Wieczorek [2011-09-19 12:11:29 +0200]:

> ----- Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl at gmail.com> ---------

>> Hello,
>> [...]
>> In short: latex allows you to include figures in two formats: EPS and PDF.

>> If you use `latex' _program_ you should use EPS figures (EPS files), if
>> you use `pdflatex' _program_ (default for texworks) you should use PDF
>> figures (PDF files). Great thing is you don't have to specify extensions
>> for image files. Consider example:

>> \includegraphics{fig1}

>> If file is processed by latex program then `fig1.eps' file will be used,
>> if document is processed by `pdflatex' then `fig1.pdf' file will be
>> included. So, generally, it is best have both files: fig1.eps and
>> fig1.pdf and don't use extension.

>> As I understand from your first post you already have EPS files. Now
>> there are two ways to work further:

> By the way, there is a third way for geogebra, which supports direct
> output of pdf files.

I don't understand your. How geogebra is related with _inclusion_ of
graphics files to LaTeX document?
I don't mention any way to _produce_ graphics, there are plenty of them,
or how to use LaTeX syntax and latex program to process input in other
programs.

>> 1. convert manually EPS files for PDF ones with the help of `epstopdf'
>> _program_, like below
>> $ epstopdf fig1.eps
>> and that for each EPS file (I could write a one-line bash code, but if
>> you on Windows I lack knowledge how to achieve the same there).

>> 2. Add to preamble of your document _package_ epstopdf, like below
>> ... PREAMBLE
>> \usepackage{epstopdf}
>> ... REST OF PREAMBLE
>> Then just run pdflatex, package `epstopdf' will do job on converting EPS
>> files to PDF before including them into document.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds
sang there except those that sang best.