[texworks] Texworks, makeindex and the -aux-directory option

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Sep 16 22:09:44 CEST 2011

On 2011-09-16 at 12:31:06 +0200, Stefan Löffler wrote:

 > Hi,
 >
 > On 2011-09-15 05:12, Jorge Ramos wrote:
 > > In both latex passes, I included the option
 > > -aux-directory=SOME_PATH in order to keep the folder containing
 > > the tex files as clean as posible.
 >
 > I didn't find any mention of -aux-directory in my TeX man page
 > (TeXLive '11 on Ubuntu Linux, pdflatex). Is it standard? What
 > distro do you use?

The .aux files are created by LaTeX macros, hence no TeX engine is
aware of them.  One could use -output-directory, but this affects all
other output files too.

AFAIK, all engines except LuaTeX complain about unknown optional
arguments.  The only way to put all auxiliary files into another
directory is to patch LaTeX internals, and the only way to parse the
command line is to write a Lua function.  One could write a LaTeX
macro package which puts all temporary files into a separate
directory, but it requires LuaTeX, of course, if this directory should
be specified on the command line.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25