[texworks] message from TeXworks user

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 07:28:12 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 2011-09-13 01:10, m.aflakparast at ut.ac.ir wrote:
> I have a document written in LaTeX.
> when I run it in TeXworks all things are ok, but when I select all the
> codes and copy/paste it to a new window then I do some changes in casual
> information like "name" then I save it to the same directory in which the
> original document was, I face the following error.
>
> [...]
> mktexmf: empty or non-existent rootfile!

To me, this doesn't sound good and might indicate that there are some
problems with your configuration of TeXLive. So, if you installed and
configured it yourself, I suggest you look into this. If not (e.g., you
use a global system set up by a system administrator), maybe ask the
system administrator about it - it might just refer to a non-existent
texmf tree (though I'm not an expert in this field).

> kpathsea: Running mktexmf ecrm1000.mf
>
> The command name is
> C:\Users\Public\Documents\Desktop\XePersian\XePersian_Portable\texlive\2010\bin\win32\mktexmf
> Cannot find ecrm1000.mf.

Make sure that you have the package "ec" installed.

> Kindly help me with this.

Well, it fails when looking for/creating fonts, so the simplest thing is
to make sure the missing fonts (the "ec" package) are installed.
Why it works for the original document but not for the new copy I can't
tell based on the information you provided.

If installing "ec" doesn't help:
  -) Which version of TeXworks are you using?
  -) Did you make sure to use the same typesetting tool for the original
and the copy? (a new window usually defaults to pdflatex)
  -) What typesetting tool did you use?
  -) Does running the typesetting on the copy from the command line work?
  -) Can you send a (minimal!) example that exhibits this issue?

Also, since TeXworks only calls the external programs, it might be
useful to contact the TeXLive mailing list about this.

HTH