[texworks] TeXworks 0.4.3 fails to identify installation directory correctly

Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Fri Aug 26 09:01:25 CEST 2011

T T wrote:

> <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Well, most installers seem to correctly identify the installation
>> location of previous installations, regardless of how they got
>> there, presumably by inspecting the relevant parts of the registry.
>> I had no reason to expect that this would not be the case for
>> TeXworks.
>
> And when that didn't work you decided to it's best to just overwrite
> your installation...

Yes, of course.

>>> Why don't you just 'tlmgr update texworks'?  TW 0.4.3 is already in TL.
>>
>> My understanding (which is frequently wrong) is that TeX Live
>> updates do not include binaries; was I wrong in this respect ?
>
> Usually we don't, that's correct, but TW 0.4.3 is in the official
> release of TL'11.  You probably just have some old stuff from the
> pretest time and don't even know it.

I'm not using TeX Live 2011.  There have been too many reports of
problems with it (far more than occurred with previous versions,
it seems to me), so I plan to stay with TeX Live 2010 until
TeX Live 2011 is frozen, since presumably by that point it will
be stable and sufficiently well debugged to be usable without
problems.

** Phil.