[texworks] inconsistens because of help-files?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Aug 22 15:57:11 CEST 2011

On Aug 21, 2011, at 4:34 PM, Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

> Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> Was that really a LaTeX file you were attempting to typeset or a Plain TeX file? That error is NOT coming from latexmk but rather from latex attempting to process your file.
>
> I wasn't actually attempting to typeset anything, Herb.
> I assumed that if I typed "LaTeXMK", it would
> either prompt me for the name of the file I wanted
> to process, or give a "usage" report such as
>
> 	LaTeXMK <input file> <options>
>
> Instead it did neither, and apparently tried to
> process files at random.  Every time I entered
> Ctrl-Z, it went on to find another file, which
> again it did not like.  Only Ctrl-C would persuade
> it to stop.  All very confusing !
>
> ** Phil.

Howdy,

The documentation for latexmk (texdoc latexmk) says

One or more files can be specified. If no files are specified, latexmk will, by default, run on all files in the current working directory with a ".tex" extension. This behavior can be changed: see the description concerning the @default_files variable in the section "List of configuration vari- ables usable in initialization files".

If a file is specified without an extension, then the ".tex" extension is automatically added, just as LaTeX does. Thus, if you specify:

latexmk foo
then latexmk will operate on the file "foo.tex".

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)