[texworks] inconsistens because of help-files?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Aug 21 03:04:11 CEST 2011

On Aug 20, 2011, at 6:36 PM, sigmundv at gmail.com wrote:

> Furthermore, LaTeX writes a hint to the log file telling you whether
>> an additional run is needed.  It makes sense to evaluate this hint.
>> This can be done in Perl without much effort.  I'm looking forward to
>> see this implemented in an MS-DOG batch file.

Howdy,

And that's the difference between latexmk and make. The latexmk program does evaluate the log file as well as seeing if the files have changed (via md5 sums). it even determines if you are using the biblatex package and the biber back-end and runs the appropriate bibliography back-end.

Like I've said, I'm using a Mac and have written configuration (rc) files for latexmk for use directly with TeXShop that take the use of the glossaries and other special needs packages into account. I've set up TeXworks to use those same ``engines/tools'' and other *nix systems could use many of them with little change but I know that Windows will require some adaptation. If you want to take a look at them you can download Latexmk426TeXshop.zip from <http://public.me.com/herbs2>. Sorry, I know nothing about Windows and how it works so I can't help to adapt the ``engines/tools'' for use on that OS.

PS: I have nothing to do with latexmk directly but I am a happy user and I have been in contact with John Collins, the maintainer, over the years and have sent in bug reports and praise.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)