[texworks] TeXworks

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 14:29:41 CEST 2011

On 2011-07-26 08:01, Paul A Norman wrote:
> >From an entry level point of view I know what was in the back of my mind...
>
> If you come to the Google Code site as many web searches will lead you
> (rather than to TUG), you would intuitively look for current binary
> releases under Downloads, in fact that page can even be presented to
> you as a/the prime search result, TUG secondarily.

This is not the way it's intended to be. Of course, for a long time,
hardly anyone looked up the TUG site, as there was just some general
stuff, but no downloads, for example. Consequently, search engines might
rank GC higher, but that's wrong. Simply click on the TUG link (or a
"like it", or a "better match", or whatever) a few times and the search
engines will hopefully learn over time ;).

That said, the GC main page is only editable by the project owner,
Jonathan. We could think about giving a more gentle introduction there,
with a more prominent link to the TUG page, and a note saying that this
page (GC) is for development only. But this is up to Jonathan.

> e.g.
> http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=TeXworks+download
> http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=download+TeXworks
>
> Is it possible to get some descriptive text and links on that page
>    http://code.google.com/p/texworks/downloads/list
> pointing to Stefan's work for Ubuntu, and to Charlie's (if necessary
> although it looks like his stable binaries are on the download page)
> and any other relevant download page - or point back to
> http://texworks.org for the information there?

No, AFAIK, the downloads page is auto-generated and can't be altered.
My repository also shouldn't be too important for most "normal" users in
the near future, as Debian now has Tw in their repositories, which means
that Ubuntu pulls them into their own as well. So, bottom line, with
modern Ubuntu versions you can install Tw without any additional work.
This doesn't give you the latest development version (or even the latest
stable release, depending on the respective release dates), but it
should give you a working program.
Finally, Charlie's builds will be hosted there in the future, so no need
to point elsewhere (they are also linked on the TUG page, BTW).

> Or otherwise anywhere else to make a one stop shop for download
> information for binaries?

For the general user, we have that on the TUG server. There, you have
pointers to the latest stable releases for the major OSs that are
supported or contributed.
Now that we have stable releases to look back on, TUG should really
become the main address for the "normal" user. It may point to a
download list on GC or the occasional wiki entry, but other than that,
all one needs should be there (if it's not, please tell me so I can
correct that ;)).
GC, on the other hand, is really primarily intended for developing. Of
course, if you want to live on the proverbial "bleeding edge" of
software, you also have to stop by there, but in my experience, most
people are satisfied if the software they have just works ;).