[texworks] TexWorks

Charlie Sharpsteen chuck at sharpsteen.net
Mon Jul 25 05:00:11 CEST 2011

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 7:27 PM, Sivasubramani S <ee08d013 at ee.iitm.ac.in>wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I installed TexLive 2010 on both ubuntu 10.04 and Win xp machine.  I could
> see Texworks in win xp machine. Whereas in ubuntu, i could not. I have
> installed texworks manually.  Is it required to install manually texworks in
> ubuntu? Is not there in texlive 2010 distribution?

I wouldn't recommend installing TeXlive using the Ubuntu package manager if
you want the latest release. The reason is that Debian-based systems, such
as Ubuntu, have a history of shipping horribly outdated versions. The
currently available TeXlive version is 2009. Before that 2007 was
distributed. The 2008 release and the 2010 release never saw the light of
day as Debian packages.

If you want the latest version of TeXlive, use the official installer:

  http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html

That will install TeXlive 2011---released four days ago and still hot off
the forges.

-Charlie