[texworks] what is a default browser?

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 10:50:51 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 2011-07-15 09:46, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
>> So, you probably know better how to configure these tools than I do, but
>> it should get you started in the right direction :).
> No, I don't know so well how to configure these tools
> but I'll check how I can do later.

It would seem that xdg-open is a shell script. If a Gnome, KDE, XFCE, or
lxde is running, it delegates to their respective programs
(gvfs-open/gnome-open, kde-open/kfmclient, exo-open, pcmanfm).
Also note that if BROWSER is not set, it sets it to
BROWSER=x-www-browser:firefox:mozilla:epiphany:konqueror:chromium-browser:google-chrome:links2:links:lynx:w3m

(not sure if this is persistent, though). In my case, x-www-browser
points to /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser, but this is ignored (GNOME
probably handles things differently).

Note that all this is naturally specific to my system (Ubuntu 11.04),
other installations may have other files, values, etc.

HTH