[texworks] adding luatex and lualatex to the typesetting menu

Charlie Sharpsteen chuck at sharpsteen.net
Thu Jul 14 06:10:09 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 8:39 PM, Paul A Norman <paul.a.norman at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> Does that mean that we could/should move to LuaLaTeX as the default
> engine rather than pdfLaTeX?
>
> Paul

Well... LuaTeX is still **officially** a beta and will be until it hits 1.0
at the end of 2012 conference if development follows the current roadmap.
Also, I bet pdfTeX will still retain a critical mass of users for many more
years.

I vote for adding LuaTeX to the built-in list of engines because it is quite
stable, has powered ConTeXt MK IV for years, and is starting to catch on.
But, I think it will be a few years before we could consider changing the
default away from pdfTeX.

-Charlie