[texworks] Problem with line mangling

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 18:33:50 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 2011-07-08 01:59, Paul A Norman wrote:
> May be (if not already tried) posting a picture of the line numbers
> jumbled up, in appropriate Qt forums (even bug reports) asking how the
> component could ever do that?
>
> I'm stepping back from the detail, to propose that the result seen of
> line numbers jumbled on top of each other be treated as the problem at
> face value.
>
> i.e viewing it as a flaw in the component that that could ever happen at all.

You can try, but I doubt you'll get much helpful information.
The problem is not technically in the line number display, IMO. They are
displayed correctly in so far as they are placed where the corresponding
line is placed. I think it's really the line that is not placed
correctly, not initialized correctly, or not put into the right context.

Anyway, Tw is a fairly complex program, and the Qt developers are most
likely not familiar with it. Moreover, the line number display is not an
official Qt component (it is modeled after a Qt tutorial, IIRC, but it's
not part of Qt itself). Debugging such a bug - especially if it's fickle
- is a plain nightmare (as you may have gathered from the time this
issue has remained unresolved). For properly debugging this, we would
need to find a testcase that makes this reproducible, and then construct
a minimal example without all the custom additions of Tw (syntax
highlighting, spell checking, and hook scripts, just to name a few). If
we had that, reporting a bug might yield a quick reply/fix. Without it,
I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Anyway, this doesn't mean it isn't worth a try. Maybe miracles happen
after all ;).

Cheers,
Stefan

PS: Jonathan has pointed out a potential candidate for a Qt issue
affecting this - I'll investigate this when I get the necessary
information...