[texworks] Alternate Editor Components? Was Re: Problem with line mangling

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 7 10:25:17 CEST 2011

On 7 July 2011 09:00, Jonathan Kew <jfkthame at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 7 Jul 2011, at 08:03, Charlie Sharpsteen wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 11:39 PM, Paul A Norman <paul.a.norman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Here is the web site of the Qt editor component called QCodeEdit, it
>> may be of no use as it mioghht bnow allow for text colouring ..
>>
>> "QCodeEdit is a framework designed to make edition of source code easy
>> for both users and developers.
>>
>> "It is written in C++ using the Qt 4 framework which make it cross-platform.
>>
>> "QCodeEdit has been designed for three main purposes : efficiency,
>> flexibility and ease of use.
>>
>> :Indeed QCodeEdit is much more lightweight and significantly faster
>> than QTextEdit/QTextDocument. However it also has different goals and
>> thus limitations. QCodeEdit is meant to work with source files and not
>> any kind of rich text like QTextEdit handles so well."
>>
>> http://qcodeedit.edyuk.org/?q=node/1
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> QScintilla may be an option as well if we are looking for a code editor framework:
>>
>>     http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/software/qscintilla/intro
>>
>> Pretty well battle-tested.
>
> Either of these might be interesting to examine more closely.
> I'm wary, though, of components designed as "code editors"
> because in my experience they don't usually have strong Unicode
> support, including not just CJK ("double-byte languages", as they
> often used to be known in the pre-Unicode days), but also
> bidirectional scripts (Arabic, Hebrew, etc) and those with
> complex shaping and reordering behavior (Indic). While some of
> the "code editor" features would be very nice to have in a TeX
> editor, I don't want them to be at the expense of fundamental
> text editing behavior.

TeXstudio (former TeXmakerX) uses QCodeEdit and overall I quite like
it.  I don't know how well it handles the above cases, but it's easy
to find out by trying it out.

BTW, TeXstudio has integrated pdf viewer taken from TW and recently
continuous page scrolling has been added there (development version).
This might be worth a look too to borrow some code back :)

Cheers,

Tomek