[texworks] Problem with line mangling

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 7 10:19:43 CEST 2011

On 7 Jul 2011, at 09:12, Stefan Löffler wrote:

> I can't say, of course. My current hypothesis is that the problem
> appears when Qt is trying to put text into a window that has not been
> shown. Maybe it is even some kind of race condition that occurs only
> when the window is shown while the text is not yet fully ready. But I
> haven't been able to make heads or tails of the Qt internals yet.
> Anyway, this is consistent with my tests (opening a file from the file
> manager vs. opening it into an empty, unmodified document (in which case
> the empty window is reused and thus shown already)). Plus, the race
> condition would explain why this is fickle (different computer work
> loads cause different processing times), and why it happens
> predominantly in long documents (if that's the case).

Given that we've had the line numbering for quite a while, but the reports of this problem seem fairly recent (or have I forgotten older ones?), I wonder if it could be related to changes, perhaps even a bug, in a relatively recent Qt release. Would it be feasible to try building with an older Qt that predates the problem reports, and see if this affects it?

JK