[texworks] Mac issues

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 11:25:17 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 2011-06-13 21:59, sigmundv at gmail.com wrote:
> Why do I see so many discussions on Mac specific stuff on this list?
> There is hardly anything Windows or Linux specific discussed. Why is this?

I'd like to think because things just work there ;).

> Is TeXworks used more on Mac OS X than on Windows or Linux? Or is Mac
> OS X just so much different?

These peaks in activity have come and gone in the past. We had lots of
"Building on Windows" discussions, and we had lots of "Scripting"
discussions, and usually the one or other post wondering if Tw "focuses
on Windows" or "is turning into a scripting engine". Personally, I think
this high activity results from a combination of two things: first of
all, above-average activity from a few people, and secondly a
complex/difficult to decide issue.

In this particular case: Tw has been started on the Mac (I think), but
with Jonathan's other obligations piling up, there haven't been Mac
builds in a long time. Consequently, development has focused elsewhere
(i.e., Mac-specific issues were never addressed or even discovered).
This of course was a bad thing, as Tw aims to be cross-platform
compatible. Now, Charlie has thankfully stepped up and worked hard to
produce an easy and reliable way to produce Mac builds. Of course,
several rough edges have turned up as a consequence, and therefore a lot
of posts on this list have dealt with the Mac in the recent past.

But no worries, once everything works again as it should on the Mac, the
number of Mac-specific posts will become smaller again.

In the meantime, do you have anything non-Mac-specific to discuss? :)

-Stefan