[texworks] Another experimental Mac build

Charlie Sharpsteen chuck at sharpsteen.net
Mon Jun 13 21:36:19 CEST 2011

2011/6/12 Dohyun Kim <nomosnomos at gmail.com>:
> 2011/6/11 Charlie Sharpsteen <chuck at sharpsteen.net>:
>>
>> Ooops, you are right---it looks like the Snow Leopard build was still
>> including Fontconfig. I just replaced the binary with a new build that
>> doesn't include it.
>>

> Thanks.
> This build is almost OK for base14-fonts.pdf,
> except for the "mu" character of Symbol.ttf which is still an empty box.

The missing glyph in the Symbol font is due to some sort of encoding
issue. The same missing glyph also shows up with builds of Poppler
that use Fontconfig. We decided not to spend the time hunting it down
as most PDF files viewed by TeXworks have embedded fonts.

> BTW I have found an another issue:
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15254523/pltx.pdf
> Upon testing this file with new TW build,
> now I cannot see any Japanese characters.
>
> This PDF file was produced from a tex file as follows
> with platex -> dvipdfmx commands on TeX Live 2010 distribution.
>
> \documentclass{jsarticle}
> \begin{document}
> 日本語(にほんご)
> \end{document}
>
> With previous TW build with fontconfig library,
> there was no such issue, though Japanese characters
> were rendered with sans-serif family instead of serif.
> Ryumin-Light is a Japanese font of serif family.
>
> Well... I personally have doubts about these efforts
> to do away with fontconfig library, because
> font substitution of non-embedded fonts can be managed
> with my ~/.fonts.conf file when TW supports fontconfig.
> Certainly, this must be my own personal preference,
> as this cannot be expected for vast majority of users
> who are not familiar with fontconfig.
>
> Best,
> --
> Dohyun Kim
> College of Law, Dongguk University
> Seoul, Republic of Korea

Thanks for this testcase! It looks like pTeX does not embed all fonts
used in the document which breaks some assumptions we made while
building the Quartz font backend.  If we can't find a resolution for
this issue, we may end up sticking with Fontconfig.

Thanks again for testing!

-Charlie