[texworks] Unwanted side-effect of <tab> : how to avoid ?

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 01:36:36 CEST 2011

Hi,

Its probably worth mentioning that the range of autocompletition(s)
shown is limited by typing a letter or two after the {

e.g.

{c<Tab>

will only show auto completions for c.... and

{ce<tab>

Is even more restrictive getting you to

{center}

\end{center}•

--straight away,

 the Crtl-<tab> then moving you to the bullet point • when you want to
get there after typing/pasting something into the environment area.

I wonder, if this is a concern needing addressing, (flying a kite here) ...

Then if as Crtl-<tab> is needed to activate the second auto-completion
function - moving to the bullet(s) if present -
is it worth considering changing the initialising key stroke for the
first part of auto-competition from a simple <tab> to Crtl-<tab> as
well?

Perhaps in preferences as a choice, to accommodate the many users
presently now successfully using auto-completion as it already works?

> would it not make sense for TeXworks
> to inspect the currently selected typesetting engine,
> ... to offer completions
> only from the set that are known to be compatible with the
> engine selected ?

Things might not be quite as straight forward but might be possible by
focussing on individual .txt files in  ... <Tw config>/completion/

I (and others) already use Tw for processes which I appreciate (and
supply) auto-completion for, which do not relate directly to any
particular typesetting engine, e.g. direct editing of a bibliography
file, Tw QtScript files (an old list soon to be updated hopefully:-
http://twscript.paulanorman.com/docs/html/TexWorksQtScripting.htm ),
and a range of other things.

> I work exclusively with XeTeX,
> so neither Beamer nor LaTeX completions could possibly be of
> any interest.

I did not realise there was no cross over at all with  LaTeX, XeTeX is
going to be interesting new territory for me then.

Paul