[texworks] where does python27.dll come from?

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 16:18:50 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 2011-06-07 01:28, T T wrote:
> Current stable release (0.4.1) fails on systems without MSVC
> Redistributable installed:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/msg/36564e311f8dccae
>
> This is due to python27.dll being build with MS toolchain rather than
> mingw like the rest of TW.  Is this intentional?  For TeX Live it
> would be much preferable to stick to mingw for the whole thing.

No, it's not intentional, it was the least bumpy road at the time ;).
The file (as well as those in the Lib/ folder) come from the official
Python installer for Windows
(http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.1/python-2.7.1.msi). I did look
into building it myself (I use http://mingw-cross-env.nongnu.org/ to
cross-compile Windows binaries on Linux) briefly, but from what I found
on the internet it doesn't seem to be easy (needs messing with the
sources, makefiles, etc.). I just stumbled across
http://code.google.com/p/mingw-and-ndk/, though, which apparently
includes such a patch, so maybe I'll give it another try.

Anyway, if someone else has useful information about this, it would be
very welcome.

In the worst case, you could just disable Python scripting, I guess.
AFAIK, it's not used heavily, almost all scripts I've seen so far use
the built-in QtScript.

Cheers,