[texworks] Mac OS TeXworks + fontconfig

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Sat May 28 11:14:19 CEST 2011

On 28 May 2011, at 09:53, Charlie Sharpsteen wrote:

> On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 1:44 AM, Charlie Sharpsteen
> <chuck at sharpsteen.net> wrote:
>> Thanks for pointing this out---it makes a lot of sense now. did a
>> quick grep for "backend" in the qt subdirectory of the Poppler source
>> and the only results referred to Splash or Arthur---so it looks like
>> those are our choices. It is too bad that the Qt backend is not more
>> tightly integrated with the Qt drawing system.
>>
>> -Charlie
>
> Bah, just saw that Arthur *is* a Qt drawing system.

Indeed - it might be interesting to try setting up TW to use Arthur and see if it's better/worse than Splash at this point. Back when I started TW, Arthur was in a fairly broken state and definitely not usable, but there's been work on it since then.

Using Cairo would be another direction to explore; AFAIK there's no "official" support for integrating Poppler+Cairo+Qt, but I believe it's possible and can give good results. The main downside is that it brings in an additional dependency. It might be worth it for Cairo's printing support, though.

JK