[texworks] Mac OS TeXworks + fontconfig (was: Another TeXworks mac build (with a buildsystem!))

Charlie Sharpsteen chuck at sharpsteen.net
Thu May 26 22:32:29 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 3:03 AM, Jonathan Kew <jfkthame at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 26 May 2011, at 06:54, Charlie Sharpsteen wrote:
>

>> Here is what `base-14-fonts.pdf` looks like on a machine with X11 fonts:
>>
>>    http://i.imgur.com/DW1yG.png
>
>> Re-building Poppler to use Quartz font handling took some doing, but
>> here are the results on a machine without X11 fonts:
>>
>>    http://i.imgur.com/SV6WG.png
>
> Interesting.... neither of these is entirely successful. (Thanks VERY much for your building and testing efforts!) The fontconfig/X11-fonts version fails to handle Helvetica Bold [Oblique], it just renders the non-bold faces. (And it's got a .notdef glyph in place of the "mu" in the middle of the Symbol line. That's probably an encoding mismatch related the "micro" symbol and the Greek letter "mu".)
>
> Meanwhile, the Quartz one gets Helvetica right, but doesn't find either Symbol or ZapfDingbats, and just falls back to Helvetica glyphs for both of those lines. I don't recall the details of the patch for finding Quartz fonts, but maybe this could be fixed?
>
> JK

I could take a look at the font patch to see what needs to be fixed,
but I have never really dug into the guts of any font handling system
so it would probably take a while. One interesting thing I noted is
that Poppler needs to be build with the "splash" backend enabled in
order to get any font output at all.

-Charlie