[texworks] Updated builds of TeXworks for OS X

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Thu May 19 10:16:31 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 2011-05-16 09:30, Joseph Wright wrote:
> Looking at this again, I realise that the official version only
> associates .tex and .pdf with TeXworks on Windows, so the Mac version is
> already going further! It's the TeX Live version of TeXworks that is
> associated with .cls and .sty files on my system, and nothing at all
> picks up .dtx 'out of the box'.
>
> Now, I'm not sure what is 'correct' here. At the very least I suspect
> that Windows and Mac OS X should be consistent. I'm not 100% sure that
> TeXworks should be associating itself with .pdf (this is handy if you
> have no other viewer installed, but that seems like an edge case to me).
> Would a consistent list of:
>  - .tex
>  - .ltx
>  - .sty
>  - .cls
>  - .dtx
> be reasonable?

Thanks for the suggestion, I've added it in r820. Hopefully it works as
I expect.

A few remarks:
* Originally, I had reservations regarding adding "package authoring"
files to the Windows installer because the could confuse "newbie" users.
But on the other hand, it's better if those files are opened in Tw
automatically should the user stumble across them rather than Windows
presenting a list to open the "unknown file type". Expert users can
disable the creation of those file associations, but they are set by
default.

* On Windows, pdf files are not associated with Tw by default, but there
is the option to do so in the installer.

* On the Mac, Tw registers itself as a pdf viewer, but does not set
LSIsAppleDefaultForType to true (as it does for .tex etc.). If this
works as I expect from its name, this should not override the default
viewer app for pdfs, but merely register as an alternative.

* The settings for Windows and the Mac don't necessarily have to be the
same. The _supported_ file types should, of course (and this should
hopefully be fixed in r820), but how they are handled, whether they are
default, etc. strongly depends on the system (and the questions how
defaults are handled and how easily they are changed).

> (I've left out .bib as there are a number of dedicated editors for
> BibTeX files.)

Yes, BiBTeX is a completely different story, and while any text file
(including .bib) can be edited by Tw, of course, I think we should only
assign it to files with a TeX syntax.

Cheers,