[texworks] Updated builds of TeXworks for OS X

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Tue May 17 08:07:18 CEST 2011

Hi,

thanks for your description of building universal binaries. I think,
things are beginning to add up in my head ;).

On 2011-05-16 02:12, Charlie Sharpsteen wrote:
> [snip]
> Luckily, the TeXworks dependencies build into universal binaries just
> fine using method #1. Qt has special configure flags that handle
> universal binary creation. Thank yourselves for having such a short
> dependency list as it makes this whole operation much easier.  I may
> look into adding custom Homebrew formulae for `qt.rb` and
> `hunspell.rb` alongside `poppler.rb` that take care of building
> universal binaries.

Doesn't qt.rb have a "universal" flag? From its formula:
['--universal', "Build both x86_64 and x86 architectures."]

It doesn't seem to build ppc binaries, though. Anyway, I could imagine
that patches for this might also be of interest to the upstream repo...

>>> Current issues with the builds:
>>>
>>>   - If anyone is feeling artistic, it would be nice to come up with a
>>> snazzy background image for the Drag N' Drop installer.
>> I'm not feeling particularly artistic, but what kind of image are we
>> talking about? Is there a webpage with some screenshots, maybe?
> Wolfgang Schuster provided an excellent example of the desired effect.
> It looks like we will need:
>
>   1. A PNG file that contains the background image.
>
>   2. A DS_Store file that tells OS X how to position the directory
> contents and points to the PNG file as a background image.
>
> If someone comes up with a nice background, I could probably create
> the DS_Store file.

Thanks. I'll see if I can wrap something up, but I'm not going to have
much time in the foreseeable future. So if someone else has a go at it I
wouldn't mind ;).

>>>   - I noticed that the last official Mac build includes the following
>>> Qt plugins:
>>>
>>>     * accessible
>>>     * codecs
>>>     * graphicssystems
>>>     * imageformats
>>>     * script
>>>
>>>     Currently, my builds don't contain any of these plugins and seem
>>> to run fine (given extremely limited testing). Are any of these
>>> plugins necessary?
>
>> 2) Do pdfs with embedded .png or .jpg files display correctly?
>> 3) Can you drag&drop image files (e.g., .png or .jpg) into the editor
>> and they get converted to \includegraphics{...} commands automatically?
>>
>> If 2 and 3 work, then "imageformats" (and perhaps "graphicssystems") are
>> taken care of.
> All images seem to display correctly. Drag and drop of PNG files
> works. However, JPEG drag and drop causes TeXworks to open the JPEG
> file for editing instead of inserting \includgraphics{...}. So it
> looks like I may need to add some of the graphics plugins.

Hm...
You could try to see what QImageReader::supportedImageFormats() gives
(you'll also need to add "#include <QImageReader>"; see
http://doc.trolltech.com/4.7/qimagereader.html#supportedImageFormats) at
run time.

Other than that, I found
http://doc.trolltech.com/4.7/deployment-mac.html#the-mac-deployment-tool, which
states (among other things) that Qt's default deployment tool follows
the "Image format plugins are always deployed" policy. If CMake is not
using said macdeployqt, I guess you have to convince it to deploy those
image format plugins itself...

HTH