[texworks] Another TeXworks mac build (with a buildsystem!)

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Thu May 12 21:24:01 CEST 2011

Hi,

this is looking awesome, thanks! If you agree, I'd like to write
something up (well, actually, copy from you ;)) for the Tw wiki.

WARNING (for non-developers): The rest of this message is very technical.

A few questions:
1) is it possible to use the upstream svn repo instead of cloning a git
version of it? That would have the benefit that people don't have to
rely/wait on you pulling changes, as long as nothing dramatic changes.

2) Can you add support for stable releases? They are in /tags in the svn
repo (if the answer to 1) is yes, this is trivial)

3) I noticed you mention homebrew; can your cmake system be incorporated
into homebrew?

On 2011-05-12 07:23, Charlie Sharpsteen wrote:
> If someone wants to play with the build system, the code is available at:
>
>     https://github.com/downloads/Sharpie/TeXworks

This didn't work for me.

> Direct git access:
>
>     git://github.com/Sharpie/TeXworks.git
> <http://github.com/Sharpie/TeXworks.git>
>
> If anyone has any improvements/corrections, feel free to fork the repo
> and send a pull request.

Done. I wanted to send separate pull requests for different sets of
changes, but didn't succeed (is it possible at all? I have practically
no experience with git/github).

> If the core developers are interested in bringing this new build
> system into the SVN repository, the following patch should apply
> cleanly against revision 813:
>
>     https://github.com/Sharpie/TeXworks/compare/texworks-svn...cmake-only
>
> There is only one teenie-tiny change to src/TWApp.h to guard against
> D-Bus that affects the existing code code.

Bringing the whole CMake system in will need some thinking and
discussion, so please be patient.
Regarding the patch: it seems trivial, but the way I read the Qt docs,
Q_WS_X11 and Q_WS_MAC should be mutually exclusive. See, e.g., main.cpp,
which also uses dbus, but only guards against Q_WS_X11 - why doesn't
that cause problems for you? The only thing I can think of is that your
workaround "ADD_DEFINITIONS( -DQ_WS_MAC )" is not really resolving the
issue (note that there is TwApp.h, but no main.h, to be processed by
moc). I could imagine that QT4_WRAP_CPP actually mistakes the system and
defines Q_WS_X11 _instead of_ DQ_WS_MAC. Can this be overridden by
"REMOVE_DEFINITIONS( -DQ_WS_X11 )"?
All in all, I'd rather have a proper solution if possible rather than
hacking the svn code...

> Hope this is useful to someone!

I think it will be tremendously useful! Thanks very much again!

-Stefan