[texworks] About the native PDF viewer (feature request and a question)

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Wed May 4 19:20:11 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 2011-05-03 00:26, Edoardo Vacchi wrote:
> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 11:55 PM, Paul A Norman <paul.a.norman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> May be if you can spot features  that you want poppler  in TeXworks to
>> achieve, already operating well in another C++ OpenSource project, and
>> make recommendations to the developers here, based on those, so that
>> the research is substantially done already for them?
> well AFAIR evince is quite good at displaying PDFs, it has a less
> awkward UI and it is poppler-based, so you may want to have a look
> there.

Yes, evince is poppler-based, but not on Qt, so unfortunately there are
many things that are different in the poppler binding used by evince.

> Also, Okular is Qt-based
> see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poppler_(software)#PDF_readers_using_Poppler

Actually, Okular looks a lot more powerful than I had thought. I'll
definitely have to check out their sources and maybe use something for Tw.

> They both can have page facing, and continuous page scrolling;

This already is on the wish list
(http://code.google.com/p/texworks/issues/detail?id=296). I hope this
gets implemented in the 0.5 series.

> also I'd rather have mouse mode (hand vs. zoom tool) in the right-click
> menu;

This sounds like an interesting idea. Could you add it to the issue
tracker at http://code.google.com/p/texworks/issues/, please?

> also, I'd expect the zoom tool to actually zoom the page instead
> of acting as a magnifying glass

Well, I'd rather not abandon the current magnifying glass version, as I
find it quite useful, in particular when you want to quickly check
something rather small. But I agree that the toolbar icon (a magnifying
glass with a +) can be misleading, so could you please file a bug for that?

> just my impressions, though

Thanks for sharing them!

Cheers,