[texworks] Two problems with TeXworks 0.4.0 on Mac OSX 10.6.7

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 20:00:43 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 2011-04-27 19:23, Herbert Schulz wrote:
> On Apr 27, 2011, at 12:16 PM, Stefan Löffler wrote
>> On 2011-04-22 05:26, Vafa Khalighi wrote:
>>> I downloaded the latest version from
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/vs9qutjgtwised7/TeXworks.zip but I have two
>>> problems:
>>>
>>>   1. In "Preferences=>Scripts" I can not activate "Enable plug-in
>>>      scripting languages".
>>>
>> By "can not activate", do you mean:
>> 1) you can't click the checkbox (e.g., it is disabled, gray, ...)
>> 2) you can click the checkbox, but no checkmark appears
>> 3) you can check the box, but settings are not retained after closing
>> the preferences dialog / the application
>> 4) everything of the above works as expected, but the setting doesn't
>> seem to have any effect
>> 5) something else.
>>
>> I would expect nr. 4, in which case I would go on speculating that the
>> build you use doesn't have scripting plugins compiled in / doesn't
>> provide them. If that is the case, the setting you mention naturally has
>> no visible effect. Also note that you need to have lua and/or python
>> scripts installed or use "Scripts > Scripting TeXworks > About
>> Scripts..." to see any effect.
> Howdy,
>
> Sorry, it's (1) with ``Version 0.5 r.756 (personal)'' that I downloaded a while ago.

OK. I just checked the source code again - it's (a little) more
sophisticated than I remembered. Indeed, if you have only the built-in
QtScript support, but no other plugins (lua, python), then this setting
is disabled, as it makes no sense. Besides, it could be potentially
dangerous if the user could change the setting without having any means
of checking the result (and, as a result, possibly forgetting over time
about the changes).
Anyway, I'm pretty sure now that the above-mentioned build simply
doesn't provide the lua and python plugins, and that that is the reason
the option is disabled.

HTH