[texworks] Fink Package (for MAC OS X) TeXworks 0.3 - Build error

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 20:19:06 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 2011-04-05 20:08, Prerna Atri wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 10:48 PM, Stefan Löffler <st.loeffler at gmail.com
> <mailto:st.loeffler at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     Again the old reminders: Tw is currently at 0.5, not 0.3, and you
>     should really use an up-to-date version of poppler!
>

> We are trying to port TeXworks as a package on Fink (
> http://www.finkproject.org/). According to Fink packaging policy, for
> the installing the dependencies of the application we are trying to
> port, we must use packages already on Fink. The versions we mentioned
> for poppler and other dependencies are the latest ones currently
> available on Fink. Hence, moving to a newer version of poppler (
> Hence, TW) is not feasible at the moment.

There's not much difference between Tw 0.3 and 0.5 (at least if you use
a recent revision of 0.3), it's just a naming convention.
Re. poppler, I did note that you are using Fink and it only provides an
old version. I was just suggesting that that should be updated
eventually ;).

>     Anyway, I've looked at poppler 0.16.4, and the same file is still
>     mentioned. Makefile.am (in the same directory) lists it as
>     BUILT_SOURCES, so it's reasonable to assume it is an intermediate
>     file produced on the fly. Indeed, there are also the following
>     three lines in the same file:
>     # This rule lets GNU make create any *.moc from the equivalent *.h
>     .h.moc:
>             $(AM_V_GEN) $(MOCQT4) -i $< -o $@
>
>     This suggests that you have to run Qt's moc to generate that file.
>     Why this is not done automatically, however, is still a mystery to me.
>
>     Speaking of mysteries - why does this error occur during the Tw
>     build? Poppler is a dependency, but I'd expect it to be
>     built/installed separately before Tw is touched for the first
>     time. Related to this: if poppler is built as part of Tw (as
>     opposed to separately), how is this done? For example, if it's not
>     done using the usual ./configure && make, implicit rules like the
>     .moc rule are easily missed.
>

> As we mentioned above, poppler must be installed using the Fink
> package which has already been built according to Fink packaging
> policy. It could be possible that .moc files created in the process
> are for some reason not available after installation. We shall try to
> verify the same by installing poppler from source.

This only emphasizes the point that most likely there are issues with
poppler as provided by Fink (or as installed on your system).
Normally, Tw shouldn't touch any sources of poppler, it only requires
the header files and the libraries for linking. So it would probably be
a good idea to track down the reason the build process tries to build
(parts of) poppler. One wild guess would be that you don't have the qt4
backend for poppler (enabled by the --enable-poppler-qt4 configure
switch), or Tw doesn't pick it up properly, anyway.

HTH