[texworks] EPS figure in MikTex2.8 .... still a problem

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 07:52:59 CEST 2011

Hi,

first of all, thanks for the information. Second, a few comments.

On 2011-03-29 21:25, Loulin Huang wrote:
> 2.  the top five or so line s of your .tex document
> ====================================
> \documentclass{ws-ijhr}
> \input seteps
> \input setbmp
> \usepackage{subfigure}
> \usepackage{epsfig}
> \usepackage{epstopdf}
> \usepackage{changebar}

If reporting a problem, it is helpful to produce a minimal example. This
essentially means to clean your code of everything that is not needed to
reproduce the problem. This saves those who are trying to help you and
don't have access to your full document. E.g., I would suspect that the
problem occurs even with the "article" class, and probably without most
of the packages you include.

Speaking of packages: you seem to be mixing quite a lot of stuff here.
AFAIK, both the epsfig and epstopdf packages only work together with the
graphicx package, and are mutually exclusive in that they try to solve
the same problem.

Finally, seteps and setbmp seem to be some non-standard files, and
according to quick googling use dvi specials (so, yet another approach
towards including graphics).

If indeed you only want to include eps figures (i.e., don't need
PStricks or other specialities), I would recommend using only epstopdf here.

On 2011-03-29 21:25, Loulin Huang wrote:
> 1. a sample of a section of you .tex document that wants the image,

> The picture   of the robot and its schematic are shown in Figures \ref{fig:realR} and  \ref{fig:schR} respectively.
>
> \begin{figure}[t]
> \begin{center}
> \centereps{10cm}{7.6cm}{realRobotFig.eps}
> \caption{Chewing robot.}
> \label{fig:realR}
> \end{center}
> \end{figure}
> =======================================

As I said above, I think \centereps uses dvi specials. If you open the
dvi file produced as an intermediate (e.g., in Yap provided by MiKTeX),
do you see the images? If not, the problem is somewhere in there already
(and later steps used for conversion to pdf must obviously fail).

In any case, I recommend using
\includegraphics[width=10cm,height=7.6cm]{realRobotFig} here as provided
by the graphicx package. Note that there is no extension!

> 3. and a screen capture of the area of your TeXworks installation  ...
>
> See the attached JPG file  or below:

This is the configuration of pdfTeX, but it seems to me you need
pdfLaTeX to typeset your document...

HTH