[texworks] smart quotes – default?

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Tue Mar 29 22:12:24 CEST 2011

BPJ wrote:
> 2011-03-29 11:43, Arno Trautmann skrev:
>> nowadays a keyboard should provide all signs one needs while
>> typing.
>
> Should? Yes. Does? No.

Mine (Neo¹) does …

> BTW there are only so many character positions on a keyboard
> (the number of characters * 4) and in some disciplines we use
> hundreds of different characters. (Yes I know you can have furter
> levels on the kb, but I haven't succeeded in implementing them...)

Neo offers 6 levels plus lots of dead keys and combining. That covers
pretty much everything I need, including greek, mathematical symbols and
everything from latin-based alphabets. For other scripts, similar
layouts can be used.

> One of the reasons I find myself going back to vim although I
> like TW rather well is its keymap feature (hint hint :-)

Well, in times of unicode and unicode aware TeX engines, the input
should not depend on the editor, but on the human interface, which is
still the keyboard …

cheers
Arno

¹http://www.neo-layout.org/ (only german, sorry)