[texworks] TeXworks 0.4.0 GUI

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 14:34:02 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 2011-03-27 14:20, Helge Kruse wrote:
> Am 27.03.2011 12:23, schrieb Stefan Löffler:
>>
>> I also tested it on Win 7 (64bit) now (the system is pretty much
>> "as-bought" as I don't use it normally), and everything behaved as
>> expected. That is:
>>   * with 0.4.0-r759, the combo box had a "normal size" (comparable to
>> the
>> one on XP). When I added or removed very long names, the combo box size
>> didn't change. When I restarted Tw, it was initialized correctly,
>> however.
>>   * with 0.5-r765, I experienced the same behavior as above, with the
>> only difference that now the combo box did resize when long items were
>> added or removed.
>>
>> So, all in all, it seemed to work as it should.
> That's good. Thanks for testing. Unfortunately this does not imply
> that it now works at my PC.

No, of course this doesn't imply anything. It just makes it more
difficult for me to debug, as I have to rely on asking questions and
getting answers per mail, rather than being able to experiment myself.
BTW: Does anyone else who uses Win 7 see this?

>> Do you have any special configuration (font sizes, themes, ...)? Or are
>> you working on a very small screen (such that the toolbar doesn't fit
>> completely)? Can you post a screenshot?
> It looks like this:  http://dj1na.gmxhome.de/tex/TW-r765.png
> I have changed the background picture. I am not aware that I changed
> any font size or similar.

Hm, interesting.
Could you try the following:
 * move the right toolbar (does the combobox resize?)
 * reorder the tools so that the longest one is first
 * set the default tool to the one with the longest name
Does any of this affect the size of the combobox (it may safest to
restart Tw each time)?

>>> When I install it in the "Virtual XP Mode" (That's a VM to support old
>>> Win7-incompatible software), the combo box has a reasonable size.
>>> But there's a surprise: The list of tools is different:
>>>    LaTeXmk, pdfTeX, pdfLaTeX, XeTeX, XeLaTeX, ConteXt (MKII), XeConTeXt
>>> (MKII), BibTeX, MakeIndex
>>> You can compare this with the list above.
>>
>> This list (with the "(MKII)") looks like the latest default list. So it
>> seems that in this compatibility mode, the settings are stored in a
>> different location.
> Of course. "Compatibility mode" is a bad name for a XP caged in a VM.
>
> > You can use the "Scripts>  Scripting TeXworks>  Show
>> Scripts Folder" menu item to locate the resource folder (or, more
>> precisely, its "scripts" subfolder). Can you check if that is the same
>> in "native" (i.e., Win 7) and "virtual XP" modes?
> Yes, I can. It's a different location (on a different file system).

Well, then it's no surprise that the configuration (tools, etc.) are
different.

> I didn't use the installer, but I did use the compatibility settings
>> (from the Properties dialog). There, the configurations etc. didn't
>> change, only the windows/widgets looked different (legacy style).
> Do you mean you changed something of this dialog?
> http://dj1na.gmxhome.de/tex/TW-Properties.PNG

Yes, exactly.

> I have also VS2008 installed. So I could dig into the code when a PDB
> is available. But there is no QT dev support installed.

Unfortunately, no PDB is available. I cross-compile Tw for Windows from
Linux via MinGW.

Regards,