[texworks] shell-escape to texify.exe

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 22:46:14 CET 2011

Dear Ovi,

On 21 March 2011 05:54, Ovi Chitayat <ovadia at pacbell.net> wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> I am trying to pass –shell-escape to pdflatex (for the purpose of calling
> gnuplot) through texify.exe

Are you doing it like this form preferences? Bruno's post:

http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/texworks/2011q1/003713.html

http://tug.org/pipermail/texworks/attachments/20110202/2eccd16d/attachment-0001.png

> texify does not like this argument.
>
> When I use this argument in pdflatex, pdflatex calls gnuplot, i get my
> pretty little Gaussian Plot and

> world order seems to be in tact.

I am sure that the UN Security Council  will be pleased to hear :)

> Am I doing something stupid?

No, first time around these things can be fiddly until you see a
working example.

> Does anybody know of a way to do this?

Depending on your distribution and other settings, instead of doing it
in TeXworks  preferences you may be able to place something like this
on its own line at the very very top of your TeXworks .tex document

%& --shell-escape

I use the provision for changing or keeping the output .pdf name when
my .tex name chages (visioning). My document then ends up looking like
this at the very top:

%& --job-name=MyDocument-A5
% !TEX TS-program = pdflatex
% !TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
\documentclass[10pt,a5paper]{article} % use larger type; default would be 10pt

I prefer it as it does not require changing the preferences (which
will apply by default to all documents which can be a security risk if
you run a downloaded document with out thinking about it.

paul