[texworks] Suggestions/questions about TeXworks 0.3r736

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 01:31:45 CET 2011

On 11-03-09 5:38 PM, Paul A Norman wrote:
> Dear Duncan,
>
> That pdf appears to have an interesting genesis, produced by  R
> 2.12.2, acrobat suggests that one of the fonts has a custom encoding?

Yes, the figure is produced in R.  I want to include figures like that
in LaTeX documents.  When I do, I see the same font problem, but I
figured it was simpler just to give the figure itself.

> There is an earlier report on poppler doing similar things (link
> below) that point to a solution in the document generation steps - it
> appears to be that possibly a font alias mapping issue is involved
> perhaps in GhostScript if R is using that in the pdf generation work
> flow?

R doesn't use GhostScript, it has its own pdf driver code.  However, I
see in the documentation for that:

"On some systems the default plotting character pch = 1 is displayed in
some PDF viewers incorrectly as a "q" character. (These seem to be
viewers based on the poppler PDF rendering library). This may be due to
incorrect or incomplete mapping of font names to those used by the
system. Adding the following lines to ‘~/.fonts.conf’ or
‘/etc/fonts/local.conf’ may circumvent this problem.

<fontconfig>
<alias binding="same">
   <family>ZapfDingbats</family>
</alias>
</fontconfig>"

(You can see the full text at

http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/library/grDevices/html/pdf.html

in the "Note" section.)

It gives some workarounds that generate the figure without using the
Dingbats font; they work.

Is there a way to do the equivalent of what was recommended above in
TeXworks?  I don't know where to look for a .fonts.conf file or
/etc/fonts/local.conf on Windows.

Duncan Murdoch