[texworks] Suggestions/questions about TeXworks 0.3r736

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 23:38:43 CET 2011

Dear Duncan,

That pdf appears to have an interesting genesis, produced by  R
2.12.2, acrobat suggests that one of the fonts has a custom encoding?

There is an earlier report on poppler doing similar things (link
below) that point to a solution in the document generation steps - it
appears to be that possibly a font alias mapping issue is involved
perhaps in GhostScript if R is using that in the pdf generation work
flow?

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/poppler-bugs/2009-April/003135.html

For troubleshooting purposes you could consider trying this by making
a LaTeX file using the same font and circle character in TeXworks, and
see if the circle sort comes out as a "q" or a circle in poppler when
LaTeX and pdflatex produce the pdf perhaps?

Using utf-8 -

% !TEX TS-program = pdflatex
% !TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

at the top of the .tex perhaps.