[texworks] Call for Help: Proofreading the manual

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Mon Mar 7 18:05:43 CET 2011

On Mar 6, 2011, at 9:43 AM, Stefan Löffler wrote:

>> On 2011-03-04 17:44, William Adams wrote:
>>> Front page --- if it's at all possible, could we use a less ornate
>>> font for the line ``“lowering the entry barrier
>>> to the TEX world”'' --- three cap swashes in a row is a bit much, also I don't see a reason for the quotes
>> I haven't changed that yet, but will once I find the time to look for a
>> good font.
>> The quotes are there because it's a quote - namely from the Tw homepage,
>> or the Tw "franchise", if you want to call it that. If we turn this
>> manual into an official one, we could also get rid of them, though.
>
> I implemented your suggestion, i.e., using a different, cleaner font and
> removing the quotation marks.

Displays like that should _not_ have huge gappy amounts of space in them, nor be un-necessarily broken over three lines (and if they must be so broken, should be done so taking sense into account and under _no_ circumstances at all should such a display be hyphenated) --- I don't see why this line would be broken at all. I also don't think the current placement is working very well either.

If you really want to use this hand-writing font, w/ the ``bumpy'' TeX logo, then you should re-work the spacing in the logo so that it's even, not crashing between the T and E.

The Chancery style you had before was better --- it just needs to have the ``swashes'' removed from two of the three letters in TeX...

Why introduce another font at all?

Why wouldn't Latin Modern italic work?

William

--