[texworks] Call for Help: Proofreading the manual

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 17:23:20 CET 2011

Hi,

thanks for all the comments. The easy ones I implemented as you
suggested, the rest I comment here.

On 2011-03-04 17:44, William Adams wrote:
> Front page --- if it's at all possible, could we use a less ornate
> font for the line ``“lowering the entry barrier
> to the TEX world”'' --- three cap swashes in a row is a bit much, also I don't see a reason for the quotes

I haven't changed that yet, but will once I find the time to look for a
good font.
The quotes are there because it's a quote - namely from the Tw homepage,
or the Tw "franchise", if you want to call it that. If we turn this
manual into an official one, we could also get rid of them, though.

> Why is the first paragraph after a head indented?

This is an excellent question - I haven't noticed this before. My guess
is it must have something to do with the fncychap package (curiously,
its docs only use drop caps), but I haven't found the time yet to
investigate this further. If someone knows anything about this (or how
to solve it), I appreciate any hint.

> orphan line at bottom of page 3

I'll try to fix that once the text doesn't change anymore.

> ``Other formats are AMS-TEX, AMS-LATEX,
> ConTeXt, and X ETEX, each having specific goals and advantages (and drawbacks).''
>
>  - need to differentiate between formats (texinfo, latex, amslatex, context) and tex-variants (luatex, xetex, pdftex).
>    Probably the best thing would be to introduce both concepts and have a table which shows the intersections --- xelatex, lualatex, &c.

Indeed. Though I think that most people reading this user guide will
neither know nor care about the difference. I've modified the sentence,
so it hopefully is correct now, but I think the internals of the
different TeXs are better discussed in another place than the
introduction to a manual to an editor.

> two word stack ``and and'' in the paragraph after the bulleted list

Sorry, I didn't get this. There are many "and"s in that sentence, but I
didn't see "and and" anywhere. Could you write a suggestion?

Cheers,