[texworks] Call for Help: Proofreading the manual

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 17:16:42 CET 2011

Hi,

thanks for the comments. I implemented most of them as you suggested.
The rest I comment here.

On 2011-03-04 04:58, David J. Perry wrote:
> In general, I think 4.4.2 needs a little work.   Beginners will have
> no idea what codes can be used; how is one to know that, e.g., \n
> replaces a carriage return?  (Maybe programmers all know this stuff
> and I don't; if so, my apologies -- but TeXworks is not only for
> programmers!)  Having a footnote that says the information is on the
> internet is not helpful; I suggest giving at least one reference or a
> suggestion of what to google for. [ADDENDUM: after writing this, I now
> see that Appendix has this information, so all we need here is a
> cross-reference to it.]  The title also may be too technical.  I
> totally ignored this when I first read the manual, thinking it was
> only for programmers.  When I reread it just now, I realized that this
> is something I do all the time in Word with search and replace.  Could
> it be called something like "search and replace formatting characters"?

I renamed this to "Advanced search and replace (regular expressions)".
"Formatting characters" are something only called that way in Word, AFAIK.

> 4.5.4: . . . two types of quotation marks [no comma] in English:
> [colon not comma]  .  The curly quote at the end of the sentence
> should be replaced by a straight single quote, otherwise the whole
> point of the discussion is lost.

In fact, the straight quote is produces by "\verb|'|", so it is indeed
the right one. The fact that it looks almost indistinguishable is
unfortunate, though.

Cheers,