[texworks] Call for Help: Proofreading the manual

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Fri Mar 4 17:44:09 CET 2011

On Mar 2, 2011, at 3:41 PM, Stefan Löffler wrote:

> Also, if some people could read it and point out typos, wrong grammar,
> etc, I would be very grateful.

Front page --- if it's at all possible, could we use a less ornate font for the line ``“lowering the entry barrier
to the TEX world”'' --- three cap swashes in a row is a bit much, also I don't see a reason for the quotes

Why is the first paragraph after a head indented?

orphan line at bottom of page 3

``Other formats are AMS-TEX, AMS-LATEX,
ConTeXt, and X ETEX, each having specific goals and advantages (and drawbacks).''

 - need to differentiate between formats (texinfo, latex, amslatex, context) and tex-variants (luatex, xetex, pdftex).
   Probably the best thing would be to introduce both concepts and have a table which shows the intersections --- xelatex, lualatex, &c.

``To extend the format, one loads “packages” which are collections of
macros specific to some aspects of typesetting.''
 - must a package address more than one aspect of typesetting? ``aspect'' (singular)

``From its specification in the late 1960s...''
 - shouldn't that be 1970s?

PAGE 4

footnote 1 ``including only latin characters found in English,''
 - capitalize Latin? (throughout)

two word stack ``and and'' in the paragraph after the bulleted list

``TEXworks is a project to create a text editor for use with TEX family of...''
 - with _the_ TeX family (missing article)

I'll try to find time to look at more of it later.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer