[texworks] Call for Help: Proofreading the manual

David J. Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Fri Mar 4 04:58:41 CET 2011

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for all your work on the manual; it will be very helpful for users.
A quick read gives the following.

David

* * * * * * *

page 4: "font creator"  should read "font creators"

Ch. 2: MiKTeX now includes TeXworks; in fact, it is the default editor if I
understand correctly.  So there is no need to download separately.  This
version of TeXworks is customized by the MiKTeX folks, I think -- e.g., the
printing feature is enabled. Perhaps a footnote explaining this?  IIRC,
MacTeX now also provides TeXworks.

3.2.1:  Perhaps a little more should be said about fonts.  Those new to
(La)TeX will be accustomed to using all their system fonts.  I suggest a
statement that only fonts that come pre-installed with the TeX distribution
can be used (if that's the correct way to phrase it; and how are new users
supposed to know which fonts those are?) plus a pointer to a more detailed
discussion of fonts in LaTeX.

page 19, next to last line: "code which represent" should read "represents";
periods missing after three footnotes.

In general, I think 4.4.2 needs a little work.   Beginners will have no idea
what codes can be used; how is one to know that, e.g., \n replaces a
carriage return?  (Maybe programmers all know this stuff and I don't; if so,
my apologies -- but TeXworks is not only for programmers!)  Having a
footnote that says the information is on the internet is not helpful; I
suggest giving at least one reference or a suggestion of what to google for.
[ADDENDUM: after writing this, I now see that Appendix has this information,
so all we need here is a cross-reference to it.]  The title also may be too
technical.  I totally ignored this when I first read the manual, thinking it
was only for programmers.  When I reread it just now, I realized that this
is something I do all the time in Word with search and replace.  Could it be
called something like "search and replace formatting characters"?

4.5.1: the standard Windows redo shortcut, Ctrl-Y, works also; I don't think
any Windows user normally uses Ctrl-Alt-Z.

4.5.4: . . . two types of quotation marks [no comma] in English: [colon not
comma]  .  The curly quote at the end of the sentence should be replaced by
a straight single quote, otherwise the whole point of the discussion is
lost.

page 32: In English, the normal name for additional sections of text placed
at the end of a document is "Appendices" not "Annexes."