[texworks] problem with typesetting in Ukrainian

Peter Basarab-Horwath peter_bh at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Feb 13 21:58:40 CET 2011

I have tried to typeset the following test article in TeXworks:

\documentclass[12pt, ukrainian]{article}
Мале є прикрасним.

but I obtain the following error message:
 ("C:\Documents and Settings\Peter\My Documents\Ukrainian Latex File.aux")
! Missing $ inserted.
<inserted text>
l.6 Мале
             є прикрасним.

Can anyone please advise me on what is going wrong and how to remedy this problem?
My computer uses Windows XP and the cyrillic keyboard I use is a Samsung Pleomax with Ukrainian characters.
Peter Basarab-Horwath