[texworks] Call for Help: Mac builds

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Sun Feb 6 19:06:16 CET 2011

On 06/02/2011 17:36, Stefan Löffler wrote:
> Might be a good idea to run autoreconf on the latest version as well
> (once the patch issue is solved). Note, though, that usually it's better
> to use the latest released version (0.16.2 ATM) rather than using a git
> checkout (which is a development version).

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I checked out the Git to allow me to swap
versions, and updated to the appropriate tags. The .tar.gz files include
'pre-build' configure files, whereas that is not included in the Git
repository. I didn't try on the 'bleeding edge' at all.

>> So I try 'autoreconf', which seems to work itself, but ./configure gives
>>
>> [various perfectly normal things]
>> checking for libpng... (cached) no
>> ./configure: line 22207: normal: command not found
>> configure: WARNING: libpng not found. disable PNG support.
>> ./configure: line 22281: syntax error near unexpected token `FREETYPE,'
>> ./configure: line 22281: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(FREETYPE, freetype2,'
>>
>> at the point where the unpatched one dies complaining about a lack of
>> fontconfig.
>>
>> I've no experience of 'autoconf' (being used only to "./configure &&
>> make && make check && sudo make install"), so I'm a bit stuck here!
>
> It seems to me that it's trying to locate freetype, but doesn't even
> know how to do that (let alone probably wouldn't find it, unless you
> built it?). My guess is this goes away as soon as you download and build
> freetype (http://freetype.org/ current version seems to be
> freetype-2.4.4.tar.gz). Should work with the normal configure/make/...
> procedure. Once it's installed, configure should pick up the required
> macros.

Looking at the current TeXworks.app package, you are right: this does
include freetype. That will be my next step, then.
--
Joseph Wright