[texworks] Call for Help: Mac builds

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 20:25:19 CET 2011

Hi,

On 2011-02-05 19:17, Bruno Voisin wrote:
> I just followed the sequence at <http://code.google.com/p/texworks/issues/detail?id=107>, including step 3 (fontconfig) and changing the version number to 4.7.1 in step 2. Versions are:
>
> 	pkg-config-0.25
> 	qt-mac-opensource-4.7.1
> 	qt-mac-opensource-4.7.1-debug-libs
> 	fontconfig-2.8.0
> 	poppler-0.16.2
> 	poppler-data-0.4.4
> 	hunspell-1.2.14
> 	texworks-read-only svn checkout today
>
> Building TeXworks fails exactly as for Joseph Wright (like him I tried without Qt Debug and added it afterwards). The final word seems to be:
>
> Attached are the output of the configure/make/make install sequences for each of the steps. For poppler the first "sudo make install" is for poppler and the second for poppler-data. For TeXworks the first is before installing Qt-Debug, the second afterwards.

Wow, that was quite a lot to read (or skim ;)).
A few observations that might help:
 * Building poppler seems to work fine. As I had speculated previously,
it builds more than it has to, and there are some warnings, but
poppler-qt4 seems to work fine. Also, I didn't see any reference to Qt
4.3 except in "libpoppler-qt4.3.dylib", so maybe the poppler devs are
indeed just lazy in update the Mac filenames.
 * GCC versions seem to differ. When building hunspell, for example, the
command called is "g++". When building Tw, the command is
"/usr/bin/g++-4.0". If these are indeed different compilers, the error
"file was built for unsupported file format" seems explainable. The
custom compiler for Tw is defined in TeXworks.pro lines 66 & 67. Just
comment those out (prefix by #) and try again (you may have to do a
clean rebuild, i.e. repeat the compilation). IIRC, that settings had
something to do with supporting Mac OS 10.4.
 * Linking for ppc apparently fails because the Qt libraries are not
built for that architecture (evident from "/usr/lib/libQtUiTools.a,
missing required architecture ppc in file" and the fact that just about
any symbol is "undefined). Disable it for now by removing "ppc" in
TeXworks.pro on line 84 ("CONFIG += x86 ppc").

> I'll stop at this point. Next week, starting tomorrow, I'll be away at a conference hence unable to pursue the topic.

Thanks for trying, and for sharing all the build logs. They have been
really helpful!

Have a good conference!
Stefan

PS: I'm just replying to your post to give others who experience the
same problems some hints.