[texworks] Call for Help: Mac builds

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 11:56:41 CET 2011

Hi,

On 2011-02-05 09:52, Joseph Wright wrote:
> I'm perfectly happy to have a go at building TeXworks on the Mac (10.6.x
> at least). I did try a while ago, but in the absence of a decent set of
> instructions got rather stuck. The *nix build instructions didn't really
> work out.

hey, that's great news!

Yes, the *nix build instructions won't work. But assuming you succeed in
building for Mac, we could put up specific Mac instructions to help
others. To that end, please document all the steps you take (where you
got which file, which options you took, where you unpacked them, etc.)
if possible.

OK, to get you started, here are a few things you'll most likely need
(adapted from http://code.google.com/p/texworks/issues/detail?id=107):
1) The Apple development tools
(http://developer.apple.com/technologies/tools/ ?)
2) pkg-config from http://pkg-config.freedesktop.org (for building
poppler-qt4)
3) Qt from http://qt.nokia.com/downloads; choose "Go LGPL" and "Qt
libraries 4.7.1 for Mac" (I hope you won't need the SDK for this, which
also seems to ship only with 4.7.0 instead of 4.7.1); then download the
binary package without debug libraries
4) poppler and poppler-data from http://poppler.freedesktop.org
5) hunspell from http://hunspell.sourceforge.net

NB: These may not be all things - but we'll see that later.

Then, follow the instructions 1, 2, 4, 5 for building from
http://code.google.com/p/texworks/issues/detail?id=107. Step 4 might
fail - if so, please post/attach the output here (the same applies to
all other steps, but ideally they shouldn't fail ;)).
In any case, it might be a good idea to keep the build logs somewhere,
if possible, not only if the build fails. In particular, you should note
down where the libraries are installed, i.e., the output of the command
"sudo make install" (should be /usr/local in most cases).

The Apple dev tools should include subversion, so you can also check out
the Tw source code as described at
http://code.google.com/p/texworks/source/checkout

HTH