[texworks] Bug - figure in texworks

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Wed Feb 2 07:29:21 CET 2011

Le 2 févr. 2011 à 03:04, Paul A Norman a écrit :

> On 2 February 2011 14:06, Sivasubramani S <ee08d013 at ee.iitm.ac.in> wrote:
>
>>      I have drwan a figure using visio with math symbols (using mathtype). I
>> saved it in a pdf file. When i included in my tex file run pdflatex in
>> texworks, my output figure is without math symbols.
>
> P.S. is there any requirement/option in your Viso MathType production
> flow to embed fonts?

That's probably the point: the fonts are not embedded in your PDF figure. You can check this in Adobe Reader, by opening the PDF figure then going to File > Properties and selecting the Fonts tab. Or, in case you have the xpdf tools installed, by running pdffonts on this figure. Or opening your .tex file in TeXworks, selecting the Preview window and going to Window > Show > Fonts.

That said, the cure is not simple:

- Either modify your visio + MathType workflow in such a way that the fonts are embedded. I do not have visio, and I have MathType but I'm not using it, so I can't be of much help.

- Make sure the missing font is available in a format TeX can use (PostScript, TrueType, OpenType). Install it at the appropriate place in your texmf trees, then create a .map file for it. Run updmap to include this .map file when creating pdftex.map, or simply add in your .tex file a line like

\pdfmapfile{+mymapfile.map}

Not easy!

Wait: as a test I just created an equation "ax^2+bx+c=0" in MathType then saved it to an EPS file. The EPS file contains

%%DocumentFonts: Symbol
%%+ Times-Italic
%%+ Times-Roman
%%DocumentNeededFonts: Symbol
%%+ Times-Italic
%%+ Times-Roman

telling the fonts are indeed not embedded. Try applying epstopf to it (it's part of TeX Live, at least on the Mac), with the --embed option. Here the resulting PDF file has the missing fonts embedded.

Bruno Voisin