[texworks] Message from TeXworks user

David J. Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Tue Feb 1 00:10:50 CET 2011

Ralf and Paul,

The alt method that Paul describes will work, but seems to be using the old
ANSI numbers.  There are easier ways!  You should of course save the file as
UTF-8, as Paul says.  I would also typeset with xelatex to take advantage of
Unicode, which Win XP is built on:

% !TEX TS-program = xelatex

1) I am guessing from the German that appears in the configuration details
that Ralf provided that his native language is German.  German computer
keyboards, I believe, allow one to enter umlauted vowels directly, and this
should work with no problem in TeXworks just as it does in Word or any other
up to date software.  (It might not work in earlier, pre-Unicode TeX front
ends.)  Other German speakers on this list will correct me if I'm wrong
about this.

2) If I'm wrong about that, one can install the US-International keyboard in
Windows, which provides easy access to many non-English characters; umlauts
in this keyboard are accessed through the double-quote key.  But this can a
bit messy for those who do not use American-style physical keyboards.

Use any font that comes with Windows in your editor; they all support
Unicode nowadays.

David