[texworks] mouse-wheel / slider cause TeXworks inmediate crash, issue broadens

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 11:22:05 CET 2011

On 26 January 2011 08:39, Stefan Löffler <st.loeffler at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2011-01-25 06:32, Paul A Norman wrote:
> > This seems to have broadened, or more is surfacing.
>
> My guess is the latter... especially since nothing has changed in the
> builds, recently.
>
> > In the debugger the crash can happen when the debugger adds error
> > lines itself as you click the  green Debugger arrow.
>
> This sounds reasonable, as the problem seems to be connected in some way
> to the line highlighting code (which I think is what is done in the
> debugger as well).
>
> > Also something strange, sometimes when material has been copied to the
> > clipboard in Tw, if it crashes due to this stuff, the material is no
> > longer on the clipboard.
>
> Yes, this is not entirely inexplicable. If the data is managed by Tw
> rather than the operating system, the data is naturally lost when Tw
> crashes. I am a bit surprised that this applies to simple plain text
> data, but who knows how Qt handles stuff internally.
>
> > It seems like a Qt framework issue?
>
> Indeed, I think so too. I've tried to get some help on the dev forums
> (http://developer.qt.nokia.com/forums/viewthread/3176/), but to no avail
> so far... :(
>
> > Do we need to retreat behind 4.7.1 for now?
>
> This would be an option, albeit not an ideal one. E.g., Ubuntu 10.10
> ships with Qt 4.7.0, and avoiding that would be quite difficult. The
> same thing will probably apply to 11.04, unless there is a new Qt
> release soon (which I seriously doubt). Similarly, for the Windows
> builds, I use a system that comes with 4.7.1 right now... All in all
>

> this is a big mess.

Yes, its so unpredictable - you just have to keep remembering to save more
often :)
I'll try and make time and look more into it.

Stefan, if you get time would you mind please checking the top part
(reference section) on the TW.system command (
http://twscript.paulanorman.com/docs/html/TexWorksQtScripting.htm ) I've not
done the examples yet, and just wanted to check thus far, if you
didn't mind please.

I realise that in the below it should be TW.app.system(...)

"This move requires any existing scripts that used TW.system(...) to be
redrafted to meet the new requirements."

TIA
Paul