[texworks] TW crashes when file is modified externally

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 15:02:09 CET 2011

Hi,

On 2011-01-07 23:03, BPJ wrote:
> 2011-01-07 02:14, Paul A Norman skrev:
>> Can you please advise from the Tw Menu /  Help / About TeXworks   box
>> that appears,  which version and revision of Tw you are using? The
>> required information is just below the copyright symbol.
>>
>> Also - what other program or process modified the .tex file please,
>> was there an error log for that application as well?
>>

> ----- configuration info -----
> TeXworks version : 0.3r726 (launchpad)
> Install location : /usr/bin/texworks
> Library path     : /home/benct/.TeXworks/
> pdfTeX location  : /usr/local/texlive/2009/bin/i386-linux/pdftex
> Operating system : Linux Ubuntu 2.6.31-22-generic #70-Ubuntu SMP Wed
> Dec 1 23:51:13 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
> Qt4 version      : 4.5.2 (build) / 4.5.2 (runtime)
> ------------------------------
>
> It happens whenever I modify a file which is open in TW with
> *any* other application, though usually it's about doing
> regex gymnastics with gvim or perl scripts/oneliners.
> There are no errors from the other applications. It's
> apparently the very fact that something else touches
> the file which makes TW crash.  or so I thought: now when
> I want to force it to happen it doesn't happen, typically...

Thanks for the info. ATM, I can't reproduce on Ubuntu 10.10...
This shouldn't be related to recent changes, especially since you say
you had similar crashes before those changes as well. But naturally,
without any step-by-step instructions how to reproduce the crash, it's
difficult or rather nearly impossible to track down the bug and solve it...

-Stefan

PS: It seems we're dealing with quite a few "fickle" and seemingly not
reliably reproducible crashes lately. Let's just hope this means we've
fixed all the "easy" problems ;).