[texworks] Basic Compiling

Dan Pomeroy dpomeroy at brandeis.edu
Fri Jan 14 20:46:17 CET 2011

Hello all,

I am new to using latex / texworks, but need to learn how to use it to help
edit some papers for school.  There is a standard template all of our papers
have to be written in and I can't seem to get it to compile using TeXworks
(0.2.3 r4.66) on my Mac (10.6.6).  It doesn't seem to make it past the first
line of the template:

\documentclass[11pt,a4paper,dvips]{article}

And gives the following error:

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.11 (TeX Live 2010)

restricted \write18 enabled.

entering extended mode

(./emu_supporting.tex

! Undefined control sequence.

l.22 \documentclass

[11pt,a4paper,dvips]{article}

?

This is a standard template that I can't change and it does compile for
others using different compilers so I'm hoping there's a setting I can
change in TeXWorks to make this work? In any case thanks in advance for any
and all help!

-Dan