[texworks] external editor

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 21:35:50 CET 2010

Hi Doris,

On 2010-12-16 18:59, Doris Behrendt wrote:
> I want to use texworks with an external editor (vi, that is); I don't
> need to have synctex working;
> I searched the list, I found one thread -- some months ago -- where
> list member ryan long writes that he is using vi as an external editor;
>
> he just didn't tell how;

What exactly do you want? Using vi as editor, and Tw for what?
Typesetting? PDF preview?
Simply open the tex file in Tw. You can typeset from there, and it
should pick up all changes you make in vi.
If you only want the PDF previewer, just typeset the document and open
the resulting pdf in Tw.

> usually I work on a mac (texshop, of course) where there is a checkbox
> in the preferences for choosing to use an external editor;

What does it do? What does it use an external editor for?

HTH