[texworks] New Windows version - please test

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 13:16:57 CET 2010

Hi,

On 2010-11-22 08:32, Matthias Pospiech wrote:
> Am 22.11.2010 07:31, schrieb Stefan Löffler:
>> Hi Andreas,
>>
>> On 2010-11-21 16:52, Andreas Hirsch wrote:
>>> first impression:
>>>
>>> open dialog: very, very slow showing the content of a directory
>> Curious. I've occasionally experienced it to be slow to show for the
>> first time (probably due to some initialization stuff), but after that
>> it was behaving normally. Also, I've got a message off the list
>> confirming that the dialog was behaving normally.
>>
>> However, this may be Windows version related. No one included this bit
>> of information (Win XP, Vista, 7? 32bit vs. 64bit) I asked for so far,
>> however ;).
> I tested the new version as well and experienced the file dialog to
> freeze the app for several seconds.
> System is Win 7 (32).

This certainly shouldn't happen. This probably is a Qt problem, but we
can't help that at the moment. So we may have to revert to the native
dialog on Windows 7. As it seems on XP it is working as it should. Can
somebody test this on Vista as well so we know where we stand there?

One other thing: does the same thing apply to the save dialog (which
should also use the Qt version)?

> What also could be questioned is why TW is not using the system dialog
> but the Qt dialog instead, which on Win7 looks comletely alien.

Ignasi already mentioned it: there was a feature request to use the Qt
dialog for opening files (note that it was used for the save dialog
before) because of consistency and because you could add bookmarks. Of
course, if this produces such problems, we'd need to revert that to
using the native dialog at least on Windows 7.

Thanks for testing.
-Stefan